The Starplex forum

Updates were not configured correctly reverting changes

Got any useful information to offer? or perhaps you need to ask for help.

Updates were not configured correctly reverting changes

Postby Deathlok » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:08 pm

This was a weird one. A laptop was essentially stuck on something like 14 or 15 critical Windows updates and the usual things to try did not work...

By that, I mean
- Hit f8 at boot and use "Last known good configuration"
- Rolling back with a System Restore
- Use one of the Microsoft "FixIt" thingies with regards to Windows update

The OS in question was Vista, but this should be as relevant to Windows 7 and 8.

Some further research into this lead me to find the following;

Go into this directory: %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine

I used Windows explorer to navigate here and then set the view so that hidden and system files can be viewed. Alternatively you could just use an elevated DOS prompt and remove the system and hidden attributes to all files within that directory and perform a dir command.

Either way, you should be able to see a bunch of files and quite probably a lot of them which are .blf and .regtrans-ms types.

These files are used to track registry changes (updates, installation and removal of software, etc.) and stop corrupted registry entries from killing your PC.

Here is the potentially scary bit, delete all files that have a .blf and .regtans-mf extension or put them in the recycle bin if you are a bit afraid as I was. Now reboot the PC and have another go at those pesky updates.

They might just work now...
It ain't the years honey, it's the mileage.
Deathlok
Doomsday Machine

Return to Hints and Tips