The Starplex forum

Netgear ReadyNAS 104 access problem

Got any useful information to offer? or perhaps you need to ask for help.

Netgear ReadyNAS 104 access problem

Postby Deathlok » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:19 am

Today, when trying to access a clients recently installed ReadyNAS 104 on their network, I was being prompted for a network user name and password.

Despite the fact I was already logged in with an administrator level account. Tried a couple of other accounts which I knew should have access. The result and behaviour of the NAS remained the same.

The device responded to pings via its IP address and FQDN.
Using the HTTP interface, I was able to login and see the shares which had been previously created and populated with data.

But no matter what I tried I could not log onto existing shares. For instance;
\\nas.domain.local\share
Typed into windows explorer would pop up a box asking me for a network user name and password and of course no matter what account I tried, I could not get in.

A workaround I found was to substitute the FQDN for the IP address. So if I did;
\\192.168.1.1\share
This, when typed into windows explorer took me straight in. So I altered all of the login scripts in the NETLOGON folders to use the IP address instead of the FQDN.

Not happy with his solution but when you are about to have 50 people come in and wonder why they can't access their stuff on the network...
It ain't the years honey, it's the mileage.
Deathlok
Doomsday Machine

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 access problem

Postby Deathlok » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:24 am

Okay, further investigation into this problem...

There has been nothing, and I mean nothing, changed with regards to the security or access settings on the NAS. I have double checked all of that.
Nothing has changed between yesterday and today within Active Directory on the client network.

What I did find is there was a large time discrepancy between the NAS and the rest of the network, around 6-7 minutes. This was despite there being an NTP server in use. I can only assume that for some reason it was unavailable.

I dug out a couple of others and added them as alternatives to the device. After a few seconds the NAS clock fell into line with the rest of the client network.

Then, just for a giggle, I tried to access the NAS with the FQDN. Blow me down! I went straight in...

I think I will dig further, to see if I can ascertain the reason why access became denied because of a time difference.
It ain't the years honey, it's the mileage.
Deathlok
Doomsday Machine

Return to Hints and Tips